I am a huge fan of reality television programs that allow me to explore and learn about the wide variety of jobs and career paths people pursue. I am and always have been curious about what people do for a living and why they do it. I even wrote an article on the topic – Six Career Lessons You Can Learn From Reality TV About Doing What You Love.
One of the stars of this genre of reality television is Mike Rowe (the “Dirty Jobs” guy). Mike has been paying his success forward through his foundation (The mikeroweWORKS Foundation) and trade and technical school scholarships.
His scholarship recipients sign a pledge – The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge shown below.
I did not go to trade school. I went to a four-year university and then completed a Master’s degree. Even though I have worked in white collar jobs most of my adult life, I’ve done my share of dirty jobs: I have waited tables, tended bar, painted houses, worked in kitchens, and even operated a drill press and a chemical degreaser in a factory. As a result, I appreciate, respect and value hard work of all kinds and in all places!
Regardless of whether you are pursuing or have completed a technical certificate program, an Associate’s degree, a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree, or any other kind of education or training, Mike’s S.W.E.A.T. Pledge is one you can make and should make. Everyone should.
The world of work would be a much better place if everyone would “sweat” just a little more!
“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)
- I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
- I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.
- I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.
- I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
- I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.
- I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.
- I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
- I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.
- I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.
- I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.
- I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
- I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.
Order The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge on Mike Rowe’s website – ProfoundlyDisconnected.com
(I don’t get a referral fee for this plug, I just like supporting a good cause!)